Monday, January 22, 2007

It's Not Mine!

I had a revelation of sorts last Sunday. One of the men in the Sunday a.m. Bible class made the remark that everything we do must be for God, that the only thing we really need to do for us is rest and sustenance. He went on to say that even the rest and sustenance we allow for ourselves should really be for God also, as we do not own our bodies, we are only permitted to use them to glorify God!

And that set me to thinking . . . if this body is God's and not mine, which I believe that to be true, then surely I must care for it properly! As carefully as I would ensure the safety of a car I might borrow from a friend, as meticulously as I would care for any treasured item I might borrow from a friend, that is the least of how much care I should take for something that God has allowed me to use!

And have I done that??? NO! I have stuffed it full of non-nutritious food, run it without adequate rest, let it sit idly and get fat & soft! I believe that God has always intended that we should enjoy these bodies that he has allowed us to use. But I also believe that, first and foremost, these bodies were given to us for the purpose of glorifying God and teaching his word! And that doesn't mean allowing them to get fat and lazy!! Of course it also doesn't mean to start obsessing with body to the point that the body is worshiped or that everything else is neglected.

Moving forward!

No comments: