Friday, February 02, 2007

The Sugar Solution

I've been reading about the problems caused by high normal blood sugar levels, which include polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), obesity, diabetes risk, high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke. High normal blood sugar can be controlled by eating foods with a low glycemic.

I know of one person who strictly followed a diet of low glycemic foods, lost over 20 pounds, had a tremendous drop in his ldl cholesterol and tryglycerides, all within a short 2-1/2 month period! This involves strictly limiting sugary foods, but also starches which turn into sugars when digested (think potatoes!)

I'm going to look into this further, but this may be something which will help me. I have a family history of diabetes, so hopefully I can avoid that!

1 comment:

Annieann77 said...

I am on a low GI diet, Nutrisystem bases their whole diet on GI values. It has totally worked for me, I have lost 55lbs in 5 1/2 months, I think once I get to goal I will continue following the low GI diet.

I think the best thing about NS is that you still get to have your chocolate and pasta but it is low GI so they are considered "good" carbs?! And you still loose weight! ;)