Sunday, March 04, 2007

Eat More . . . Protein!

I have come to realize that my diet is seriously lacking in protein. In cutting back on calories, I have added more fruits & vegetables, but cut back too much on lean protein. Which makes me get hungry more often! So, I'm going to try to add protein to my diet and see if that helps to stave off my hunger.

I love eggs, but of course there's the cholesterol factor in the yolks. I'm not a big meat eater, but I'm adding fish and chicken. Nuts are a pretty good source, and low-fat cottage cheese, which I like to have with fruit.

5 comments:

Grumpy Chair said...

Have you tried the 1/2 ounce of walnuts (70 calories) to stave off the hunger? YOAD (You on a diet) recommends that - says it takes 20 minutes to work.

Former Skinny Person said...

Of all the nuts, walnuts are my least favorite! Go figure. (Of course cashews are my favorite, which means they probably have the least nutritional value!)

I should probably just try walnuts again . . . maybe!

Former Skinny Person said...

Okay. I ate the walnuts. Still don't particularly like 'em, but I can stand to eat 'em! If I hafta!

Grumpy Chair said...

What about almonds?

Hubby over christmas brought home 32 ounce can of mixed fancy nuts (no peanuts) just cashews, brazil nuts and pecans. So good. I love cashews, and I would grab a handful everyday to the point that I gained 4 pounds back!

Former Skinny Person said...

I think the two powerhouses in the nut department are walnuts and almonds. I like almonds, but the candy-coated pastel colors! Walnuts, I have to just make myself eat them. The rest of the nuts are okay, but not the superheroes like the walnuts and almonds!

I too could eat my weight in cashews! I really love the big'uns the best! The ones that are $10 for a fairly decent size jar!