Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Surgery - not a great option!

I have a friend who was 75-100 pounds more than she should have been. She decided to have some type of bariatric surgery in order to lose the extra weight. It seemed to work pretty fast, but she lost quite a bit of her hair (apparently due to a vitamin deficiency) and she has to be very careful about what she eats or else she will be losing her lunch!

I know another person who had a similar type surgery. It seemed to work equally as well, but she never really dealt with the reason for her obsession with food. So consequentally, the weight came right back up and within two years she was as heavy, maybe heavier, than she was before surgery.

It seems to me that the purpose of the surgery is to force a drastic drop in caloric intake. So, if that can be done without surgery, would that not be a better solution?!? I suppose some people just can't control the urge to eat. But how many are using the surgery as an easy way out? From what I've observed, it's not an easy way out!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you, one of my girlfriends also had the surgury when she was younger and now she is back to where she was before the operation! I believe surgury is the "easy" way out and it doesn't teach you to break old habits. I don't think surgury is the way to loss weight for life it is only a quick temperary fix. It takes time to learn how to eat proper and not give into temptations!

Former Skinny Person said...

Anyone who has had surgery of any kind has to know that it's not an "easy" way out, but they think it's a fast and permanent solution. Maybe for the "super" obese it's the only option before death. But without therapy to go along with it, many times it does more harm than good, even for them!

Anonymous said...

Oh I agree. I couldn't imagine it - although many of us have illusions of how easy life will be once we don't have weight to deal w/ ... problem is, if the issues haven't been dealt with, we will always have weight to deal with. Great blog! D

Grumpy Chair said...

Hey -
You have been quiet lately.
Hope all is well with you. I know today is breakfast dude day!

Have a great Thanksgiving!